Skip to main content

UPSC CSE: An Engineer's strategy that worked and lessons learnt

Hello Everyone,

I am Garima Agrawal. I am an engineer by profession and have qualified UPSC CSE-2018 with AIR 40. I started my preparation in 2016 after finishing my Btech and MS from IIIT-Hyderabad. I did take coaching in 2016 for GS and Optional to get a direction in my preparation. However I feel that it is the self-studies and tests that helped me the most in this exam. Here, I would like to share my strategy for clearing this exam in the very first sincere attempt.

PRELIMS & MAINS

While I will be discussing the essential book list in another blogpost, I would like to share some other strategies and tips that may help.
  1. Integrated study plan for Prelims and Mains for General Studies. Have a detailed time table (monthly, weekly and daily) to read and revise all standard books keeping requirements of both Prelims and Mains in mind while studying. For eg. If you are doing a topic of polity- Ordinance from M. Laxmikant, you should read the constitutional provisions for prelims but also read about the Cooper case and D.C. Wadhwa case (which is mentioned on the same page) for Mains. And then, linking it further to the current affairs completes your topic.
  2. Revision via tests. Sectional tests make the revision process interesting and fun while preparing you for the final exam at the UPSC. It is all the more important for Mains where answer writing and time management is indispensable for success. 
  3. Innovative techniques for current affairs. Using sticky notes in front of your study table to remember tricky facts, watching daily videos of current affairs MCQ and off course reading newspaper with operatic regularity helps in handling current affairs. Writing two answers daily based on current affairs really helps in preparing for GS 2, 3, 4. 
  4. Study SMART. Studying smart means studying with mental alertness and as per the requirement of the exam. To illustrate- if you have to prepare Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) for prelims, a smart candidate would NOT memorize names of all 21 member states, but rather will look at the map and memorize only those states which are located on Indian Ocean but are NOT a member of IORA (Pakistan and Myanmar in this case). This makes the job much easier and helps you solve any question associated. 
  5. Previous year question papers are the MOST important guides for each stage of the examination- Prelims-GS, CSAT and Mains including Optional. Essay and Optional papers are pivotal in qualifying Mains and final selection. Consolidated notes for Optional subject and practice tests aid you in maximizing your score. 

PERSONALITY TEST

My score in PT (190) is the only silver lining in my marks sheet. The preparation involved, reading two newspapers, watching RSTV shows, systematic preparation of DAF and many mock interviews. However, what helped me the most in my final interview was – a) presence of mind and b) the personality that I have developed over the years.

SOME LESSONS LEARNT AND BROKEN MYTHS

All of us start preparing for this exam with some excitement as well as some fears and challenges. I too was a victim of the same but this result has answered them well. Here are a few lessons that I learnt and answers to most commonly asked queries I have been posed post result -
  1. Yes, I have done my entire schooling from Khargone – a remote town of Madhya Pradesh. And still, I could clear the exam in one and half year of preparation. A remote background is not a hindrance to your success.
  2. Yes, I have done my schooling in HINDI MEDIUM, but still I wrote all my exams including IIT-JEE and UPSC in English. It is a bit challenging but language is not a barrier but just a medium of expression. Newspaper, news shows, regular answer writing practice and right confidence helped me the most in overcoming the challenge.
  3. Yes, I am an engineer from IIIT-H and it was a tough decision to take up civil services instead of lucrative job/Phd offers. But having belief in the decision taken, helps you surpass any insecurity.
  4. Yes, I am a woman and still have opted for IPS as my second preference, because I genuinely feel that more representation of women in police will go a long way in women security.
Last but not the least, if I can do it, anybody can.
Best of Luck.

Comments

  1. Hi mam can u please tell me where i Can get sectional tests ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma'am can you please share your Philosophy optional notes? It would be a great Help
    Thankyou. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello ma'am,
    Can you please share your marksheet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mam to know the basics of philosophy would u suggest one book i am unable to find book

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ma'am how u have a motivate yourself for whole problem..beocz i am facing a problem of loneliness..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mam☺️

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope these strategy will Help.
    Thanks
    Nice one! This post is amazing and very important. Greeting from Pro Civil Engineer Thanks for sharing.

    Web Design Wala
    PNR Status
    Live train status

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mam plz share your book list of GS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancient history - RS Sharma
      Medieval - TN board class 11 book
      Modern - spectrum
      Environment - Shankar is
      Economy- K Shankarganesh
      Geography - 11,12th ncerts

      Delete
  13. Plz share your GS booklist Mam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you mam for sharing your journey, it helped me. I am also a student of Bengali medium..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this! If you want to check your train seat availability then simply go to the train seat availability checking
    page.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment